Jailed Ballarat Gold Bus driver Jack Aston and his army of supporters will return to the Supreme Court of Victoria on Monday for his re-sentencing.
Wife Wendy Aston, daughter Meg and son Ben are hoping he will walk free from jail.
"We are hoping he will come home. We can only hope. We will be taking his clothes to court again," Mrs Aston said.
"We are counting down the days again but we are really relieved we are not waiting too long."
Mr Aston was assessed for a community corrections order this week - a flexible order that allows a sentence to be served in the community with specific conditions.
The Court of Appeal overturned Mr Aston's six convictions for negligently causing serious injury on Monday and instead convicted him of six counts of a less serious charge of dangerous driving causing serious injury.
It was determined prosecutors made a mistake during Mr Aston's trial by not raising with the judge the alternative dangerous driving charge.
On Monday, his lawyer Catherine Boston said she wasn't suggesting there had been a deliberate failure by anybody in the trial, but without the lesser charge being raised by prosecutors, they had failed to meet their legal obligations.
The maximum penalty for the new conviction is half that of the previous more serious charge.
Ms Boston asked Mr Aston's prison sentence be replaced with a community corrections order, focusing on the mental health conditions he has developed since crashing into the Montague Street Bridge at South Melbourne in February 2016.
Six of Mr Aston's 14 passengers suffered a range of injuries including spinal fractures, glass particles in the face, scalp injuries and a broken neck.
A community of supporters have rallied behind him since he was jailed for five years and three months, with a non-parole period of two-and-a-half years in December.
More than 10,000 people signed a petition to have Mr Aston released, hundreds of letters were sent to him in prison, supporters tied yellow ribbons out the front of their houses and came together in a show of support at rallies in Melbourne and Ballarat December and at Parliament House in September.
His story has resonated with people across Victoria and his family have been shocked and grateful for the messages and letters of support from people they don't even know.
"Hopefully we will have a fair few in the court again. You can see how it lifts him," Mrs Aston said.
Mr Aston has spent almost 10 months in Middleton Prison in Castlemaine.
- with Karen Sweeney, AAP