A Sebastopol man has faced court after he allegedly stabbed another man in the back with a pair of scissors and threw punches at him as he lay on the ground.
Joel Knight, 21, applied to be released on bail at the Ballarat Magistrates Court on Thursday after he was arrested and charged with intentionally causing injury.
Police nominal informant Detective Senior Constable Andrew Barnes said the accused man was at his Sebastopol home at 7pm on Tuesday with his mother and the victim, who was visiting his mother.
He said Knight became enraged when he believed his mother and the victim were talking about him and he picked up a pair of scissors and stabbed the victim in the middle of the back, causing a 2.5 centimetre wound and a chipped spine.
The victim, who had been sitting on a couch, fell to the ground after he was stabbed.
Detective Senior Constable Barnes said the accused continued to throw punches at the victim as he lay on the ground.
He said an ambulance was contacted to treat the victim but a medical report was not yet available.
Knight was arrested and charged on Wednesday.
The court was told Knight was on bail at the time of the incident for an alleged family violence offence.
He had allegedly failed to appear at the Ballarat Magistrates Court on September 17 to face those charges.
Despite opposing Knight's application for bail, Detective Senior Constable Barnes said police would seek a condition he reported to police if he was bailed.
(Knight) failing to appear on bail is a concern for police.Detective Senior Constable Andrew Barnes
"The incident occurred when he had tried methylaphetamine for the third time."
Defence lawyer Andrew Madden submitted his client was young and it was his first time in custody.
Mr Madden said Knight had stable accommodation with his mother, strong family support and had been assessed suitable for the Court Integrated Court Services Program.
He said if Knight was found guilty, his sentence would be in the range of a community correction order.
But magistrate Gregory Robinson said Knight had not shown compelling reasons why he should be bailed and he was an unacceptable risk to the public.
"Given that extraordinary violence I am concerned if I bail him, I am putting members of the community at risk," Mr Robinson said.
"Given his drug use I find that risk unacceptable."
He refused Knight's application for bail and remanded him in custody until November 21.
The magistrate noted it was Knight's first time in custody and he was withdrawing from drugs.
Have you signed up to The Courier's variety of news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.