UPDATE, 2.05PM: Comedian Joel Creasey has described the cancellation of his Bendigo show as 'a bit of an all-around crappy situation'.
In a social media post, he thanked the venue, organisers and punters for understanding.
"I am so sorry to disappoint my audience in Bendigo and want to be clear that this threat wasn't entirely homophobic," he wrote.
"Furthermore I certainly don't think this reflects the Bendigo community in any way.
"I've never had to cancel a show before, love performing and love Bendigo - so it's a bit of an all-around crappy situation."
Creasey wrote that he was unable to discuss the matter further, given the circumstances.
"Because this [is] an ongoing matter and a safety issue, it requires an element of privacy," he said.
EARLIER: Comedian Joel Creasey's Bendigo upcoming performance has been cancelled, with organisers citing safety concerns and homophobic threats.
Creasey - of Australia's Got Talent and I'm a Celebrity ..Get me out of here - was scheduled to perform as part of Golden Vine Comedy on November 14.
Creasey performed most recently in Ballarat without incident in August. He was so popular that he performed twice in a night, due to high demand.
"Unfortunately, Joel has received threats if the show goes ahead and his management has prevented him from doing the show because of safety concerns," organisers today posted on the event's Facebook page.
They cited homophobia as a contributing factor.
Tickets for the show are being refunded.
"We're really sorry about this, for everyone's sake," organisers wrote.
Read more: Why these gay men chose to move to Ballarat
Creasey faced verbal abuse and threats of violence from a pack of young men after addressing an anti-discrimination forum in Colac in 2011.
He later returned to the town for his documentary Gaycrashers, to find out what life was really like for LGBTI people growing up in regional Australia.
Watch the documentary here:
In the 2017 marriage equality postal survey, 68.7 per cent of Bendigo voters said yes, while 31.3 per cent said no.
More than 70 per cent of people in Ballarat voted yes.
Leaders of central Victorian LGBTI advocacy organisation LOUD said they were surprised and saddened by the threats to Creasey's safety.
"I think it's a loss for Bendigo," LOUD chair Suellen Pepperell said
"People would have loved to have gone to see him."
Creasey sold out shows in Ballarat earlier this year.
Reflecting on the popularity of the Tram Queens at Bendigo's first White Night, the LOUD chair said she was surprised by the reaction to one man's comedy show.
She was concerned those responsible for Creasey's safety concerns would consider the show's cancellation a victory.
"I think it's really sad the vocal few would have such an appalling impact," Ms Pepperell said.
Harry McAnulty said Bendigo had come so far in the last few years.
"It's really sad a [LGBTI] community member doesn't feel safe to come to the Bendigo region," he said.
He said the Bendigo community needed to have a conversation about how it combated such attitudes.
"These views are really a minority in the Bendigo region," Mr McAnulty said.
"We know we have a diverse, multicultural community that is accepting."
- with the Bendigo Advertiser