A man accused of pushing his brother into a dresser, cracking his ribs, before wrestling him to the ground and breaking his collarbone will claim he was acting in self-defence.
The 41-year-old man, who The Courier cannot name as it would identify the alleged victim, faced a committal mention at the Ballarat Magistrates' Court on Thursday.
He was charged with causing serious injury after an alleged altercation involving his brother at their mother's house, located at a regional town outside Ballarat, on August 17.
Police allege the accused pushed his brother, who fell back against a dressing table, and felt a crack in his ribs.
The court had been told the accused allegedly wrestled his brother on the floor and started to throw punches after a second verbal argument started.
The sibling's mother was present when the alleged fight occurred.
The alleged victim spent six days in hospital and was diagnosed with broken ribs, a collapsed and punctured lung, a broken collarbone and bruising across his neck and face.
Defence lawyer Andrew Madden told the court his client would contest the charges because he was acting in self-defence.
A contested committal hearing was set down for March 18 when witnesses, including the complainant, sibling's mother, police informant, a neighbour and medical practitioner will give evidence.
The court did not allow the defence to cross-examine the medical practitioner.
The accused man's bail was varied on Thursday. His bail address was changed, his curfew condition was removed and he can now communicate with his mother.
He must continue to comply with an intervention order and report to police weekly.
Have you signed up to The Courier's variety of news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.