Police told The Courier they remained at the property all night and their investigations are continuing. The fire is being treated as suspicious. An arson chemist is expected to attend today.
A family had a lucky escape in Smythes Creek earlier tonight after a serious fire gutted their single-storey home.
Emergency crews were called to the Bells Road house about 6.20pm with reports of family members being trapped after the fire reportedly started in the lounge room.
Lucas station officer Nathan Duggan said the house was well-alight when crews arrived.
"There has been extensive damage to the house," he said.
WATCH LUCAS STATION OFFICER NATHAN DUGGAN BELOW
While downplaying the incident, he said a CFA volunteer was driving past when he saw the smoke and provided assistance.
Luckily there were no injuries from the fire, which was extinguished by crews from Smythesdale, Lucas, Ballarat City and Haddon.
Mr Duggan, who said the fire would be under investigation, warned people to make sure their smoke alarms were working.
"You need to make sure smoke alarms are tested on a regular basis," he said.
An Ambulance Victoria spokesman said no one was transported to hospital.
Have you signed up to The Courier's variety of news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.