LYN and Clare Hedger, the Alfredton mother and daughter who remain locked up on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship moored in Yokohama Harbour, say they remain in good spirits, despite entering the second week of their quarantine ordeal.
The pair are among over 3000 people who have been quarantined due to an outbreak of the coronavirus which is sweeping the world and has so far claimed more than 1000 lives, mostly in China.
Tests have cleared both of the virus to date but there has been 174 people confirmed cases on board the ship, with those passengers removed.
The ship has been quarantined for 14 days, with passengers scheduled to leave the ship on February 19.
Clare Hedger said the remain in a windlowless cabin for the majority of each day in quarantine.
She said on Thursday that at this stage the pair was still unsure how they would get home to Australia once released.
"Princess are offering the updates, so we are updated about an hour later than the media," she said.
"The captain can't announce anything until the Japanese authorities are giving him the clear.
"The captain has been very good and in a very unusual position. He seems genuinely concerned for all the passengers and crew wellbeing and makes announcements at least twice a day.
"I am a runner and have been going a bit stir crazy in here. I have been doing laps on the deck for the whole hour."
Ms Hedger said the Australian embassy in Tokyo is sending out frequent updates, while advisers from Lifeline Australia have also been in contact with passengers. A line for those with mental health concerns has also been set up by the cruise company.
"Princess have now allowed us out almost daily, which is extremely welcome," Ms Hedger said.
"We are still required to monitor our temperature frequently and report any readings over 37.5.
We only have 6 days to go all going well - we still aren't sure how we are getting home. But we have been advised by the embassy that no further quarantine will be required in Australia, so long as we are not exposed to any positive cases."
Princess Cruises is updating its website regularly with information. It's latest update was at 11pm on February 11 confirmed a further 39 cases had been discovered onboard the ship.
"We are following guidance from the Japan Ministry of Health on plans for disembarkation protocols to provide medical care for these new cases," it said.
"The Japan Ministry of Health has been the lead public health authority defining the testing protocols for all guests and crew on Diamond Princess. Questions on the timeline, test results and reporting protocols should be directed to them.
"Additional information will be shared as soon as it is made available to use by the Ministry of Health."
"Have you signed up to The Courier's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat."