Ballarat Football Netball League operations manager Shane Anwyl says keeping the football and netball communities engaged is a top priority while the season is delayed.
He said it was important to ensure stakeholders at all levels were kept up to date with the latest developments and where possible included in planning phases.
Anwyl said the internet provided various means of interaction.
The BFNL and all competitions under AFL Victoria's watch have been put on hold until at least May 31 in response to the worldwide COVID-19 virus outbreak.
The senior season was to have started on Saturday, April 18, and played six rounds by the end of May.
Anwyl said the competition's administrators had already spent many hours discussing possible structures for a shortened seasons.
"Everything is on the table. It's all about flexibility. We can't be specific because of the uncertainty."
He said an 11-round fixture with each of the 11 clubs playing each other once would be the likely preference if the season was able to resume in June.
Anwyl said if the season was shorter - perhaps five or six weeks - an option might be to divide the league into west and east conferences.
He said as far as finals series were concerned, time available would be a factor in determining what shape they might take.
Anwyl said financial considerations for the league and clubs would also have to be taken into consideration as decisions were made on each level of competition.