Ballarat and Central Highlands league officials remain content to sit and wait despite the first Victorian competition pulling the pin on the 2020 season.
On Thursday night, the Heathcote District Football Netball League board decided to abandon the season because of a number of factors related to COVID-19.
League chairman Peter Cole said community safety was at the forefront of the decision to cancel.
"Once we found the fact that if someone was training during that period of time and came down with COVID-19 and, god forbid, something happened to them there's no insurance," he told the Bendigo Advertiser.
"That was a telling factor in why would you bother? It's too dangerous."
Cole said a potential drain on volunteers and also club finances were among the other factors behind the decision.
Ballarat Football Netball League manager Shane Anwyl said his phone had been running hot following the HDFNL news on Friday morning and communicated that his competition was happy to wait for a while longer before making any major decisions.
"We are still planning on having a season based on the advice that comes from AFL Victoria and the next deadline is May 31," Anwyl told The Courier.
"So we are awaiting the outcome from there.
"We'll keep an eye on and continue discussions with surrounding leagues because we all need to work together on this in unity.
"The ultimate goal is to do what is going to be best for our clubs this year and for the next few years going forward."
Also this week, it was announced that the Hume league had scrapped playing for a premiership in 2020.
Anwyl said he supported the tough calls from those fellow Victorian competitions.
"This hasn't changed our plans at this stage moving forward until we get differing advice," he said.
"We will continuously seek the feedback from clubs on their views about the practicalities of a season going forward based on the protocols, particularly around the return to training protocols."
Central Highlands Football League president Doug Hobson said the move from the HDFNL hadn't changed anything for his competition.
"At the moment, we are still waiting for direction from AFL Victoria and our clubs," he said.
Hobson said there was no reason to rush a decision on the year ahead.
"We've gone this far with where we've gone and training coming back, that's a positive," he said.
"All the clubs would love to know and the odd ones are getting a little bit frustrated, but they know the journey that we are on at the moment. And this year isn't a normal year."
HDFNL chairman Cole refused to be drawn on what other leagues could or should do.
"I can't speak for other leagues. We're one of the first to make this decision and it may cause a snowball effect, I don't know,'' Cole said.
AFL Victoria has given the green light for training to commence as of Monday next week, providing clubs adhere to strict protocols. Groups of no more than 10 players are allowed.
Some clubs have decided to wait until more is known about a potential start date for season 2020 before a return to training.