Premier Daniel Andrews says there will soon be the enforcement of rules to keep people working from home if they are able.
Speaking on Friday morning, Mr Andrews said new orders would be put in place by the Chief Health Officer and decisions would no longer be in the hands of employers.
Previously, the work from home directive was not enforceable.
The new orders will be in place until at least the end of June and fines will be possible for breaches of the order.
"This is not an ask this is an absolute requirement, there is no option but to do this," he said on Friday morning.
"If you can work from home, you must work from home.
"To date, we've left the ins and the outs of how this will work to Victorians and their employers.
"That means there will now be a clear and shared responsibility between workers and their bosses. For employees, that means an obligation to keep working from home. And for employers, an obligation to support them in doing so.
Mr Andrews said there had been too many people returning to work in Victoria, when it was not necessary.
In addition to more people in close contact at work, this resulted in an increase of public transport use and road traffic.
"Having too many people in close contact ... that will lead to a second wave. That's what we're trying to avoid."
"For all of June, at least June and it could go beyond then, if you have worked from home you must work from home.
"We are simply asking for the continuation of those work-from-home arrangements."
The new crackdown on working from home comes at the same time as further restrictions are eased.
As of Monday, June 1, there will be the biggest rollback of restrictions yet.
You can see the full list of new restrictions here.
Have you signed up to The Courier's variety of news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.