A family of four who tested positive to coronavirus holidayed in Port Fairy last week.
Moyne Shire Mayor Daniel Meade said council was assisting the accommodation business where the family stayed.
"Council is aware that a family of four who visited Port Fairy for three days last week, have returned home where they have tested positive for COVID-19," he said.
"The family did the right thing, cutting their holiday short after being told a close family member in Melbourne had a confirmed case of the virus. They immediately returned to their home, which is not a hotspot suburb, and got tested.
"All four members of the family, two adults and two children, were asymptomatic while in Port Fairy. The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has advised that as they were not showing any symptoms, the risk of community transmission is low.
"Further details of where the family visited while in Port Fairy are not yet known and will be part of the DHHS investigation and contact tracing."
Council is working with DHHS, South West Healthcare, Victoria Police and Moyne Health.
Moyne Health Services chief executive Jackie Kelly said the hospital was undertaking plans to ensure the community's safety.
The last positive coronavirus test in the south-west was recorded over 13 weeks ago.
Sources suggest it will be another record day for positive coronavirus cases in Victoria with the number expected to be about 190.
As of July 6 the total number of coronavirus cases in Victoria was 2,660, an increase of 127 new cases.
Positive test numbers are a result of from people who picked up the infection a week or so ago.
It will take another cycle of the virus's incubation period - two weeks - to see if there has been any impact on the spread
New South Wales will follow South Australia's decision and close its border to Victoria at 11.59pm on Tuesday.
The total number of confirmed cases for the Greater Bendigo regions is 10 with one active case in the local government area. Meanwhile, the Albury-Wodonga region has recorded three positive cases.
The state government is expected to make an announcement later today on the state's coronavirus situation.
The Courier has removed the paywall from our stories relating to health warnings and safety of the community in regards to the coronavirus. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.