Three teenagers faced a children's court on Tuesday afternoon after they were caught on an alleged early morning crime spree.
The 14-year-old, 15-year-old and 17-year-old males are facing a combined total of 18 charges.
The charges relate to alleged offending between 4am and 7am on Tuesday.
The charge sheets, obtained by The Courier, reveal the trio entered a Lake Gardens home through an unlocked door, found the keys to a BMW and attempted to reverse the car out of the garage before colliding with another car behind it.
The boys are also accused of stealing a Hyundai i30 from Alfredton.
Other charges state the trio allegedly stole two purses after breaking into cars in Delacombe.
The 14-year-old and 15-year-old were on bail at the time of the alleged offending and are charged with committing aggravated burglary while on bail.
It is understood the 17-year-old was released on parole from youth detention on Monday.
I do need to give great consideration to the question of how many people's cars are going to be broken into, how many cars are going to be driven on the road, how many people are going to be killed or injured before a child is locked up.Magistrate
The three teenagers were arrested at the Begonia City Motor Inn in Sebastopol on Tuesday morning.
The 14-year-old applied for bail at court on Tuesday.
A police prosecutor said the boy was an unacceptable risk of further offending and putting the safety of the public at risk.
The police informant said the boy showed no remorse for his actions or concerns for his victims or members of the public.
"He has a blatant disregard for court orders," the informant said.
The boy's youth justice worker gave evidence they had seen 'significant improvement' with the boy's compliance with bail conditions and a 'significant shift' in his behaviour since he was released on bail in April.
IN OTHER NEWS:
The worker said the teenager had witnessed family violence in his early years, was placed in out of home care and a family member had died.
The boy's defence lawyer said the boy had been making positive changes as he had been more compliant with bail conditions compared to the past, was strengthening his relationship with family and engaging better with education.
The lawyer said the boy had been influenced by the two older co-accused in this alleged offending.
"I urge the court not to rupture these positive moves," the lawyer said.
"There is good work happening here."
The magistrate said he was concerned about the risks if the boy was released on bail again.
"Here was a close to successful participation in a BMW being driven off," the magistrate said.
"I do need to give great consideration to the question of how many people's cars are going to be broken into, how many cars are going to be driven on the road, how many people are going to be killed or injured before a child is locked up."
The boy's bail application was adjourned to Friday.
The 15-year-old and 17-year-old did not make an application for bail.
They will return to court later this week and next week.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.