A man who bashed a victim on his way to bed after breaking into his home will remain in jail for almost two more years.
James Slater, 25, was sentenced at the County Court in Melbourne on Tuesday.
Judge Martine Marich said Slater's behaviour was "intrusive, brutal and indifferent to the fear and suffering of others".
"In my view this is serious and concerning offending," she said in her sentencing remarks.
"You entered the victims home in the early hours of the morning with the intent to steal drugs inside.
"You were carrying a pipe which could have been used as a weapon.
"The victim was subjected to a terrifying attack in his own home which continued after he was lying on the ground."
Slater pleaded guilty to breaking into an Alfredton home at 12.42am on May 24, 2019.
The victim was subjected to a terrifying attack in his own home which continued after he was lying on the ground.Judge Martine Marich
He attacked and bashed the 51-year-old victim as he was walking through the hallway to his bedroom, causing him to fall to the ground where he was further assaulted.
Slater was charged with aggravated burglary, recklessly causing serious injury, committing an indictable offence while on bail and contravening a condition of bail.
In her sentencing remarks, Judge Marich said she took into account Slater's early plea of guilty and deprived and traumatic childhood.
The court heard Slater began using drugs at 12 and was using methamphetamine and cannabis on a daily basis at the time of this offending.
Slater has two children, one of whom suffers a serious health condition.
Judge Marich said she took into account the added strain of custody as a result of Slater's concern for his son and the impact of COVID-19.
Slater was sentenced to imprisonment in the County Court for another violent offence last year and was due to be released in March 2021.
Judge Marich sentenced Slater to a total effective sentence of two years and three months imprisonment.
12 months of this is to be served cumulatively upon his sentence currently being served.
His non-parole period was extended to two years and nine months.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.