A 39-year-old man allegedly bashed his housemate so severely he was transported to a Melbourne hospital for further treatment.
John Horton, who was charged over the March incidents, applied to be released on bail at the Ballarat Magistrates' Court on Wednesday.
Police prosecutor Senior Constable Ben Jones said Horton was living with the victim at a Mount Clear unit when he attacked the victim twice.
He said the first incident happened when the victim was asleep on the couch and the accused punched him to the head several times without provocation.
Horton allegedly stopped punching the victim when a family friend attended the unit.
Senior Constable Jones said the second incident occurred at 5am when Horton entered the victim's bedroom, jumped on him and kneed him directly into the chest area.
He said the accused continued to punch the victim to the head and pulled his hair.
"The victim was in pain and had soreness," Senior Constable Jones said.
He said the victim left the unit at 9am and went to the Mount Clear pharmacy but when the pharmacist saw him, he told him to get medical attention.
The court was told the mad suffered multiple facial fractures and detachment to eight ribs. He was transported to the Royal Melbourne Hospital for further treatment.
Senior Constable Jones said the accused went to the Ballarat Police Station twice to report on bail on other charges, but he fled each time because he thought he was going to get arrested over the assaults.
He said on the second occasion, Horton tripped and police officers were able to arrest him.
"The accused is a known drug user. When using drugs he is unstable. He gets violent and attacks without provocation which puts him at risk to the community," Senior Constable Jones said.
He said the assaults occurred one week after Horton's bail was extended for a shop theft. Police opposed his bail application because he had allegedly committed an indictable offence while on bail.
Defence lawyer Kristen Morrow said her client had no prior offending for failing to answer bail, he had stable accommodation in Buninyong and he would comply with strict bail conditions, which included a personal safety intervention order.
She said Horton's case had been listed for a special mention on October 13 and he was seeking to contest the charges.
"It's his first time in custody. If he is not granted bail he will spend at least seven months in custody," Ms Morrow said.
Magistrate Cynthia Toose said she recalled at an earlier court hearing where Horton had raised self-defence as a factor in the case.
She said she had regarded all of the submissions, including Horton's case had been listed for a contested mention.
"I have been persuaded he has shown compelling reasons," Ms Toose said.
Horton was granted bail with conditions he not leave Victoria, comply with the Court Integrated Court Services program, he not contact prosecution witnesses other than the informant and he not use illicit drugs.
He will return to court on October 13 for a special mention.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.