Pat Shaw climbed many of the peaks on offer for a professional cyclist during a long and successful career on the bike. But he also lived through some of the troughs associated with putting his body on the line for the sport he loves.
In the latest episode of The Courier's 'Off The Record' podcast series, the now 34-year-old reflects on a journey littered with concussions and opens up on the potential he will be battling serious heath issues in later life.
With extensive research being done into the impact of repeat head blows, the father-of-two is well aware of what his experiences could mean down the track.
The podcast, exclusive to The Courier's loyal subscribers, also reflects on Shaw's introduction to cycling, his triumphs on the bike and his new-found love for commentary since retirement in 2016.
- Footy's darkest day and the shining light that follows: 'Off The Record' podcast, episode one
- What really happened when Smythesdale folded? 'Off The Record' podcast, episode two
- Legendary coach Fitzy's unforgettable journey: 'Off The Record' podcast, episode three
- Hepburn's return from country football oblivion: 'Off The Record' podcast, episode four
- When Ballarat lost its Pride: 'Off The Record' podcast, episode five
- Ballarat netball legend Sally McLean: 'Off The Record' podcast, episode six
- Football's 'black hole' - players open up on concerning impact: 'Off The Record' podcast, episode seven
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.