A man who was allegedly found slumped over the wheel of a stolen car with drugs in his possession last fortnight has been denied bail.
Jordan Hunt appeared via video link at the online Ballarat Magistrates' Court this week to complete a bail application.
Hunt began his application before the court on Monday last week but the hearing was adjourned to allow further evidence to be provided to the court.
Two new charges were listed after forensic identification of DNA samples was returned to police.
Police prosecutor Senior Constable Steve Repac said Hunt had been linked to a number of cars and a caravan stolen from around Ballarat in 2019 and 2020.
The court heard Hunt was also accused of smashing the window of two parked cars to steal a handbag and other personal items and allegedly attempted to use the bank cards.
Jordan is not a bad person, he has just made some very bad decisions.Jordan Hunt's father
On one occasion he allegedly climbed onto an excavator on a work site and siphoned $90 worth of fuel from it.
Defence lawyer Andrew Madden said Hunt was on bail for offences dated between April and November 2019 and lived in the Northern Territory between December 2019 and May 2020.
Magistrate Letizia Torres noted the period between December and May was Hunt's longest period he was not offending, but that was because he lived interstate.
Mr Madden said Hunt would live with his father if granted bail, where he would be able to work to renovate the property and help with his father's lawn mowing business.
Hunt's father gave evidence to the court he would not allow any associates to visit the house and he would assist his son in seeking drug treatment.
"Jordan is not a bad person, he has just made some very bad decisions," his father said.
Mr Madden said he had made efforts for Hunt to be assessed by the Court Integrated Services Program (CISP) that could ensure the implementation of drug treatment, but the program was at capacity and not taking new referrals until October.
Senior Constable Repac said he was concerned the court could not intervene with drug treatment and it was instead left to Hunt to engage with services.
"Without the CISP service available to him, making it the onus of Hunt to engage in treatment of his own will, I am not sure the risk is reduced at this point to an acceptable level," he said.
Mr Madden said compelling reasons for bail had been met as there was a possibility of delay with Hunt's case, accommodation, supervision and work available and he would be able to help care for his three children.
Ms Torres said Hunt's alleged offending was continuous, serious dishonesty offences and high value thefts.
She said the prosecution case relied on strong forensic evidence.
"If he was convicted certainly a jail term would be expected," she said.
Ms Torres said the strongest part of Hunt's bail application was his father's evidence, however she had decided overall it was not enough to meet compelling reasons for bail.
"I had hoped between last week and this week arrangements could be made for him to link up with another drug treatment program in the community," she said.
Hunt was refused bail and will return to court in October for a contest mention.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.