With the National Basketball League postponing its season until early 2021, questions are looming over how the upcoming NBL1 South season will play out.
The NBL1 competition, which features the Ballarat Miners and Rush, customarily tips off in March or April. However with the nation's top tier announcing a January start date due to COVID-19, a clash between the two competitions looks imminent.
In the case of a crossover, it is unclear where it leaves NBL1 players such as Sam Short, who is also a development player with Melbourne United.
Basketball Ballarat interim chief executive Mark Valentine said it was all still up in the air.
"The same thought went through my mind," he said.
"My understanding is they are still working on that so there isn't really anything we can can say definitively."
Further complicating matters is the Olympics. With the Games set to take place midway through next year, it is uncertain whether the NBL1 would want to play through it.
In a recent survey undertaken by NBL1 delegates on September 1, 16 voted to play through the Olympics while three voted not to.
In the same survey, 12 out of 19 delegates said it would be an issue to clash with the NBL campaign.
Last year, the Ballarat Miners had three players who went on to play in the NBL. Other than Short, Deng Acuoth played at the South East Melbourne Phoenix, while Kuany Kuany spent time at the Sydney Kings.