A man with a horrific history of family violence was refused bail after once again being arrested for allegedly assaulting his partner.
The 26-year-old man, who cannot be named to protect the affected family member, was the subject of a police manhunt last week, after he continued to appear at his partner's house in breach of an intervention order.
On Tuesday, the Ballarat Magistrates' Court was told the man's latest two serious incidents occurred on October 11 and November 4.
Already under an intervention order, the accused was at his partner's home when he allegedly became erratic and aggressive - his partner ordered him out of the house, and he demanded she drive him to his sister's house.
With their children in the car, he allegedly began punching her in the head as she drove, yelling he would "kill them all", and punching and shattering the windscreen.
At one point, his partner attempted to drive towards a police station, but he grabbed the wheel and attacked her with her seatbelt, before getting out, denting panels, and escaping.
On November 4, it's alleged the accused entered his partner's home while she was asleep and the children were home, abusing her and grabbing her by the hair to drag her before putting his hands around her neck, only stopping when he saw a police car drive past.
The court was also told he had 23 counts of family violence since 2011, against multiple affected family members, including three stints in prison.
The man's defence lawyer, Scott Belcher, said the man could be safely bailed to his mother's house, in a rural area far from Ballarat, and strict sobriety conditions would prevent drugs and alcohol from affecting his behaviour.
Magistrate Ron Saines was unconvinced.
"Twice he has been sentenced for aggravated or persistent breaches of intervention orders ... and he's been sentenced for breach of community corrections orders, bail obligations and conditions, and offending three times since 2018," he said.
"That is to say he has been sentenced multiple times for failing to comply with the requirements of the courts.
"He was arrested Saturday after police had difficulty in locating him, and he was aware police were trying to find him.
"I'm not satisfied compelling reasons (to grant bail) are shown, however, of far greater significance is this accused man, with his history of violence, and domestic violence, recognises the affected family member is an important witness standing between him and his next jail sentence."
He will return to court on December 9.
Need help? Phone 1800 RESPECT
Have you signed up to The Courier's variety of news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.