A 16-year-old boy who "endangers the safety of every person in society" has been remanded in custody on more than 15 charges, including aggravated burglary and car thefts.
The Ballarat boy, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was bailed two weeks before he allegedly went on a crime spree earlier this month.
He applied to be released on bail at a Children's Court on Wednesday, appearing via a video link from a youth detention facility.
The police informant told the court the teenager had breached curfew 20 times since December, he almost had 240 prior offences and he "endangers the safety of every person in society".
"Police have no doubt he will re-offend and people will become further victims of crime," the police informant said.
He said police believed the teenager, who just turned 16 and has an intellectual disability, would continue to use drugs.
"Police believe there are no bail conditions that will alleviate offending," the police informant said.
The teenager is accused of offending with other co-accused around Ballarat in early February until he was arrested on February 15.
Police allege he stole a Peugeot sedan and a Nissan Navara in aggravated burglaries while one of the owners slept, used a stolen credit card at a Woolworth's supermarket and stole items from shops.
The boy's lawyer tested the strength of the prosecution case, saying the only evidence the police had to charge her client over the stolen Peugeot sedan was one fingerprint on the vehicle.
She said police had obtained two statements from witnesses saying they saw the teenager inside the Nissan Navara but one of those witnesses did not describe her client's clothing correctly and the second witness had not seen the accused for one year.
The defence lawyer said the boy had shown exceptional circumstance for bail and bail conditions could mitigate unacceptable risk.
"He has responded well previously to court-imposed bail, incluidng a period of bail granted by Youth Justice in December last year," the defence lawyer said.
"(His) diagnosis and conditions mean he has difficulty retaining information."
The magistrate said she bailed the teenager two weeks before the alleged offending when he said he would attend school, he would be busy and his carers would be returning to support him after a Christmas break.
But she said there was now no bail condition that could alleviate the risk and she had applied the relevant law to his bail application.
"He continues to re-offend while on bail, while on probation. Every possible bail has been tried and he won't stop offending," the magistrate said.
Bail was refused and the teenager was remanded in custody until next month.
He has been charged with more than 15 offences, including aggravated burglary, attempted aggravated burglary, car theft and shop theft.
Facebook has banned news from its platform. You can read our response here.
Our team of local journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the Ballarat community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content: