One of Ballarat's busiest roads was blocked to traffic this morning because of a gas leak.
Emergency services responded to the incident following a Triple Zero (000) call reporting a strong smell of gas about 8.40am.
Approximately 14 firefighters arrived at the scene in Lucas within three minutes to discover the ruptured gas main.
The incident occurred in between Dyson Drive and Finchs Road, near the Ballymanus Estate development.
Part of Ballarat-Carngham Road was blocked off by Victoria Police while Fire Rescue Victoria brought the situation under control.
It is believed an 80mm gas pipe was struck by an excavator in the construction zone.
Specialist Fire Rescue Victoria crews, including a Hazmat crew, worked to make the scene safe.
As residents emerged from their homes to see flashing emergency lights, they questioned what was going on as firefighters were seen checking gas levels around the estate.
The leak was declared safe before 10am.
Just before 9.30am an advice message was issued for Alfredton, Bunkers Hill, Cardigan, Delacombe, Lucas.
People in the area might still smell gas but there is no threat to the community.
No injuries were reported.
The City of Ballarat and gas company was also notified.
Have you signed up to The Courier's variety of news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.