Four people charged with the murder of Ballarat mother Kobie Parfitt are set to fight the charge, with a contested committal hearing booked in for November.
Renee Bridget Reynolds, 31, Brendon James Prestage, 31, Shannon Jeffrey, 32, and Jacob Ford, 35, appeared separately via a video link from custody at the Ballarat Magistrates Court on Thursday morning.
The four accused have been charged with one count of murder.
Ms Parfitt, 43, was last seen alive at a property on Hickman Street, Ballarat, on April 28 last year.
Her remains were found down a mine shaft in Snake Valley on December 22 by officers searching the area in relation to the mother's disappearance.
IN OTHER NEWS
Ms Parfitt's mother, Kathy Snowball, viewed Thursday's committal hearing via a video link.
The court set down a date in November for Reynolds, Prestage, Jeffrey and Ford to face a two-day contested committal hearing.
Ford's defence counsel were given permission to cross-examine three witnesses, including co-accused Prestage.
Defence barrister Chris Pearson said he wanted to know what the case was against Ford because there was "not much evidence" on his role in Ms Parfitt's death.
"He is remanded only in relation to this matter and is anxious for this matter to be heard and whether there is sufficient evidence for the matter to proceed to a trial," Mr Pearson said.
Prestage's defence counsel were given permission to cross-examine five witnesses, including a doctor.
Defence counsel for Reynolds and Jeffrey sought disclosure on additional material from the Office of Public Prosecutions.
The court was told Jeffrey sought a "substantial number" of documents from the prosecution.
Magistrate Ron Saines agreed to allow time for the disclosure of documents to be obtained but he did not want delays.
"All four are in custody so I am reluctant for too much time to pass," Mr Saines said.
A further committal mention will be held on July 1 for Reynolds, of Mount Clear, Jeffrey, of Ballarat, and Ford, of Elaine, and they were remanded in custody.
Prestage, of Wendouree, was remanded in custody until November 23 when a two-day contested committal is expected to be held for all four accused.
They will appear via a video link for the hearing.
Charge sheets obtained by The Courier states each accused person is charged with murdering Ms Parfitt on April 28, when she was last seen alive.
Police first went public in the hunt for information on November 22, where Ms Parfitt's mother pleaded for information about her daughter.
Ms Parfitt had not had a great deal of contact with her family for some time, hence why the missing person's report took months to be filed.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.