The Central Highlands football netball leagues and the Ballarat Football Netball League have revealed their plans for the senior seasons coming out of the state's latest lockdown.
The CHFL and CHNL have confirmed to The Courier that they will abandon this weekend's round eight games.
Despite restrictions being eased in regional Victoria, adult sport is unable to resume play, but training can resum again as of 11:59pm Thursday, June 3.
IN OTHER NEWS
It leaves the possibility of last weekend's round seven fixture still being played on the Queen's Birthday long weekend open.
That round had originally been re-scheduled for the long weekend last week, following the first announcement of the snap seven-day lockdown.
If adult sport can't resume by the Queen's Birthday weekend, on Saturday, June 12, then round seven CHFL and CHNL games will also be abandoned.
CHFL manager Diane Ryan said that clubs were informed at the first presidents meeting in March of the league's plans if a lockdown occured before the Queen's Birthday holiday.
She added that the board, along with CHNL president Natalie Clark, will meet to discuss their plans in regards to senior ladders, the results thus far and plans for the rest of the season to ensure fairness for each club and its teams.
An announcement will be made once a plan is decided upon.
Meanwhile, the Ballarat Football Netball League has ruled out using the Queens Birthday weekend to make up for lost fixtures, should COVID-19 restrictions lift in time.
BFNL general manager Shane Anwyl told The Courier there were concerns about short lead-in times and the different restrictions imposed on clubs within Greater Melbourne's boundaries.
Greater Melbourne residents will be in lockdown until 11:59pm on Thursday, June 10, affecting not just Melton, Melton South and Sunbury but any BFNL player who usually resides in Melbourne.
Adding to complications is the fact regional Victorians will soon be allowed to return to training, leaving a big disparity across the league.
Anwyl said the BFNL would wait until the immediate future became clearer before making any changes to the season.
"We will not be playing any football or netball on Queen's Birthday weekend. With seniors in particular there is no lead-in time and we don't have any certainty about what's going on at this stage," he said.
"Who knows. It just depends on how things shape up other the next week in particular."
Anywl said the league was yet to decide how it would accommodate for the loss of round seven and round eight.
"We've got some ideas but we're not putting anything in place up the we get some certainty around the way things are looking moving forward," he said.
"It's essentially going to be dependent on what happens in metropolitan Melbourne.
"If they announce that seniors can go back to competition in regional Victoria that's OK, but it doesn't really help us.
"Metropolitan Melbourne has to return back to competition as well for us."
Anwyl revealed proceeding with just the regional-based clubs playing each other was one option being considered for the season to restart.
"One option that we're considering amongst all things is that it could just be that regional-based clubs that play out the rest of the season," he said.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.