A gas heater was to blame when a house fire broke out at a Lake Wendouree address on Monday afternoon.
Emergency services were called out to a Hotham Street house about 12.50pm with reports of a gas heater on fire.
On arrival, two Fire Rescue Victoria pumpers were met with smoke coming from the front door.
IN OTHER NEWS:
Fire Rescue Victoria senior station officer Cory Woodyatt estimated it took crews about 15 minutes from their arrival to contain the fire to the one room.
The two occupants of the house were able to escape without injury or hospitalisation.
"Some aggressive attack by the crew internally was able to knock that fire down and contain it to that room of origin," senior station officer Woodyatt said.
"A primary and a secondary search was conducted on the premises and no other occupants were found.
"In this case, our occupants were very lucky they were alerted very early to the fire and evacuated very quickly and met us on our arrival out the front.
"Approximately 15 minutes from our arrival here, we had the fire under control and then there's just the overhaul phase that we need to go through which at times, takes a fair bit of time to make sure that hot spots are extinguished and all the smoke's been ventilated from the structure."
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.