Community football has been given the green light to return this weekend, with two leagues committing to playing without crowds.
All Ballarat Football Netball League competitions and the Central Highlands Football League will resume this weekend without spectators.
BFNL general manager Shane Anwyl confirmed that senior and junior football and netball, and women's football would be played despite the public being unable to attend under the newly eased COVID-19 restrictions.
The CHFL board made a call on Tuesday afternoon after considering its options.
CHFL manager Diane Ryan said financial considerations for clubs were a key factor in the decision-making process.
She said the board was asking clubs to reach out to players with a request to forego all match payments while maintaining travel allowances.
Ryan said if any clubs chose not to play, it would be regarded as a forfeit and premiership points awarded to the opposing side.
Clubs have been given a deadline of 9am on Wednesday to inform the CHFL if they do not wish to play on Saturday.
IN OTHER NEWS
The State Government announced on Tuesday that community sport for all ages could resume from Wednesday.
However, while participants can train and play in competition, spectators will not be permitted for at least another two weeks.
Outside players, only people required to facilitate training and competition - teachers, instructors, trainers, coaches, umpires, carers, parents and guardians - are permitted to attend.
Training and competition venues will carry a density quotient of one person per four square metre.
Anwyl said the BFNL senior competition would resume with what had been scheduled as round 11.
This will mean each club has played each other once - reaching a benchmark set by the league to protect the integrity of this season's premiership.
Anwyl said a BFNL board meeting on Tuesday night would discuss how the remaining three senior home and away rounds would be structured, as well as how the rest of the junior and BFLW season would look.
EXPECTED BFNL DRAW SATURDAY
Darley v North Ballarat
East Point v Redan
Bacchus Marsh v Melton
Sebastopol v Melton South
Sunbury v Lake Wendouree
CHFL ROUND 15
Beaufort v Clunes
Gordon v Daylesford
Hepburn v Ballan
Learmonth v Dunnstown
Newlyn v Waubra
Rokewood-Corindhap v Creswick
Carngham-Linton v Buninyong
Springbank v Skipton
Head of AFL Victoria Brad Scott has welcomed the return of football
"With 90 leagues across the state, more than 170,000 registered players, tens of thousands of volunteers, umpires and coaches can now get back to their local clubs and participate, which is fantastic for everyone involved in our game.
"While it is great that football is back, not having spectators allowed does create challenges and we will continue to work closely with the government and health authorities to advocate for what community football needs, while the health and safety of everyone remains a priority.
"We urge Victorians to adhere to the Government's rules regarding spectators, which will help ensure we can get crowds back at community football soon.," he said.
"I would like to thank the Victorian Government for acknowledging and recognising AFL Victoria's submission on behalf of community football, regarding easing of restrictions."
Scott said AFL Victoria is continuing to work closely with the Victorian Government and would provide leagues and clubs with as much information as possible.
Independent leagues are ultimately responsible for determining the approach they will take regarding how COVID-related interruptions impact their seasons, and will communicate details with their stakeholders.