Melbourne's harsher lockdown has set regional cities on edge, with concerns mystery cases could spread if rules aren't followed.
There are fears complacency could begin to set in, putting hard-won gains - like last week's surprise release from stay-at-home orders - at risk.
Across the entire state, including in the regions, masks must still be worn at all times outside of the home, including in indoor spaces unless eating or exercising.
Home visits are still banned.
While density restrictions still apply in hospitality and other venues, people from metropolitan Melbourne who are in Ballarat for any lawful reason - permitted workers, intimate partners or singles bubbles, for example - cannot enter those venues.
Hand washing, social distancing, and QR code check-ins at each individual place are still required.
The state government has given no sign that regional restrictions will change yet - Premier Daniel Andrews said on Monday he had "no advice' but warned Melburnians to stay out, as nightly curfews, work permits, and closures of outdoor equipment and playgrounds begin.
Victoria Police will be using numberplate recognition technology to enforce the measures in the regions.
Australian Hotels Association Victoria president Dave Canny, from the Red Lion, said regional venues understood their responsibilities.
"We're one case away from shutdown, so everything we can do to prevent that is vital," he said.
"We're in a precarious situation here, we need to stay open - don't be offended if you're asked for ID, we need it."
The Forge Pizzeria's Tim Matthews said he and his team are grateful they can continue trading safely for now.
"Lots of places around the whole country are having to restrict their trade, so we're grateful we can keep open for regional customers," he said.
"We're wearing (face masks) all the time, and for people eating and drinking it's a bit different, but we have had to keep reminding people to keep them on while moving around the venue, that's a job we can do without much trouble.
"We really feel for all the restaurants and cafes, and all our normal patrons that come from Melbourne - as a business, you miss those customers, and we can't wait to be open for them, hopefully that time will come soon."
Committee for Ballarat chief executive Michael Poulton said the surge in Delta-variant cases across New South Wales is a sad reminder of the risks.
"The key thing is that we've worked really hard to secure (Victoria)'s approach towards a more nuanced approach, they're not using a blunt instrument for everybody - we've got an opportunity to do things differently in the regions," he said.
"We need compliance, otherwise we'll fall back in.
"As hard as it is for everybody around the state, we have to recognise the fact we're doing this for other people, and for Melburnians right now, that means staying away - by coming to Ballarat, you're potentially risking the health of the community up here.
"We know how hard homeschooling has been for parents and their kids, we want to avoid every possibility of going back to homeschooling.
IN THE NEWS
"It just all gets sacrificed, all the hard-won gains, the things we enjoy doing and we can do under the current restrictions are sacrificed if we go lax, if we go complacent, at this time.
"It's about doing the right thing by other people."
Anyone with the slightest symptoms must get tested immediately, and anyone able to get vaccinated should make arrangements as soon as possible - as well as the mass vaccination centre at the Mercure, GPs and UFS also offers the jab.
For the full list of regional restrictions, head to the Department of Health and Human Services website.
Have you signed up to The Courier's variety of news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.