While Christmas and fairy lights are a great way to spread festive cheer, firefighters have warned that precautions need to be taken to avoid a fire starting.
The Country Fire Authority's Acting Chief Officer, Garry Cook, said electrical fires were one of the most common causes of house fires each year.
"These can easily be avoided by following some simple steps to make sure it's only the big man in red that visits this Christmas, not a big red fire truck," he said.
He encouraged people to check there were no frayed cords or missing bulbs before installing Christmas lights and also warned against overloading powerboards.
No more than three sets of lights should be used per board and double adaptors should be avoided, while electrical cords should be uncoiled and not covered by a rug or mat.
"Never place lights too close to tinsel or flammable decorations, and make sure you turn your Christmas lights off when leaving the house or before going to bed to ensure they don't overheat," he said.
Only lights and fittings designed for external use should be used outdoors.
Christmas trees should be set-up away from heat sources, curtains and furnishings, with water maintained at the base of natural trees to prevent them from drying out quickly. When they do, lights should be removed.
People can also consider battery-operated LED or solar lights which do not use electricity.
Acting Chief Officer Cook also urged care with candles by ensuring they are not knocked over by people or pets and that they are not lit close to flammable items, such as curtains.
"It's also extremely important to always keep matches, candles and lighters away from infants and small children," he said.
Fire Rescue Commissioner, Ken Block, said it was vital homes had working smoke alarms to alert residents if a fire started.
The top of our wish list is seeing Victorians celebrate Christmas safelyFire Rescue Victoria commissioner Ken Block
"Smoke alarms are life-saving devices, and Victorian firefighters recommend they be installed in every living room, bedroom and hallway."
It is recommended they be interconnected so if a fire starts in one room, all alarms in the home activate.
"If you are seeing elderly relatives or neighbours over the holidays, we suggest you check that their smoke alarms are in good working order while you visit," he continued.
"The top of our wish list is seeing Victorians celebrate Christmas safely," he said.
"Take some simple steps to ensure one of the most joyful times of the year isn't ruined by fires, injuries or worse - especially when it can be avoided."
He said a smoke alarm, fire extinguisher or fire blanket could be a practical and useful gift for people struggling to think of a gift idea for a loved one.
Have you signed up to The Courier's variety of news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.