REDLINE Raceway’s 2012 King of the Mountain will still be crowned this year.
The Buninyong speedway will host its signature street stocks showdown on Saturday night after it was cancelled last weekend due to predicted bad weather.
The 2011-12 event was previously called off towards the end of last season in April before being moved to last Saturday night. The 2012-13 King of the Mountain is scheduled for April next year.
Belmont Speedway Drivers Club president Mick Purdie said it was the club’s preference to host the 2012 meeting before the end of the 2012 although he conceded it was a risk running an event this close to Christmas.
“How will it effect crowds? It is the million-dollar question,” he mused.
“We tried things around Easter and it didn’t go too well from a crowd point of view. Is it too close to Christmas? We don’t know, but there might not be much else on Saturday night.
“We’ve ordered some fine weather. It’s supposed to be 27 degrees on Saturday, which is perfect racing weather.
“It will be a while before there will be a street stocks field this strong in Victoria. The next time they’ll race is in February and that’s at Redline as well.”
The decision to run this Saturday has not had a detrimental effect on competitor numbers, Purdie said.
More than 40 street stock cars are entered for the King of the Mountain feature, including all five of the South Australians who had planned to race last weekend.
“We’ve probably lost four cars but we’ve gained two or three,” Purdie said.
“One of the guys from Mildura, Robbie Faux, who might have been at the pointy end hasn’t been able to reschedule but a couple of the guys who can now come, who would have missed last weekend, might be competitive.”
Gates open from 2pm Saturday afternoon.