CHFL: Cox is not leaving Burras says president

HEPBURN president Jason Olver has quashed ongoing rumours that star forward Lee Cox is leaving the club.

Olver, speaking with The Courier yesterday, confirmed Cox was on board for his seventh season with the Burras in the Central Highlands Football League.

“I know what the rumours are, I get them on a daily basis even from our own spectators because they get told the same rumours,” Olver said.

“He’s never ever indicated that he’s even thinking about leaving the club.”

Olver said Cox, a two-time premiership player with the Burras, has been training with the club under new coach Clive Raak and that he was looking forward to helping the team bounce back from its heartbreaking loss to Buninyong in last year’s preliminary final.

Cox has proved one of the dominant forwards in the competition since his arrival from Bacchus Marsh, booting more than 700 goals, including centuries in a number of seasons. He will be an integral part of the Burras’ campaign in 2013 alongside reigning Geoff Taylor Medal winner Andy McKay, who is poised for his eighth season with the club.

McKay will this year be joined at Hepburn by twin brothers Brad and Mitch, who also signed from Bacchus Marsh, where they played in the under-18.5 grand final last year.

The 2013 Central Highlands Football League season is fast approaching, with round one scheduled to get under way on April 13.

tim.oconnor@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop