Council yet to decide on hosting Renegades again

CITY of Ballarat is yet to make a firm commitment on its desire to again host Big Bash League franchise Melbourne Renegades.

Council chief executive Anthony Schinck said the Renegades’ three-day community camp – titled the Wipe Off 5 Ballarat Bush Bash – was a great success, with about 3000 people turning out for the two Twenty20 practice matches at Eastern Oval on Sunday.

He said council would now do its due diligence following the event.

“We will review the event, as will the Renegades, and make an assessment from there about future possibilities,” Schinck said.

“Hosting the Renegades is part of ongoing efforts to attract events to Ballarat that appeal to a broad range of community members.”

Schinck said there had been positive feedback from the Renegades thus far.

“It was notable that the Renegades players also praised the condition of the ground, which reflects council’s significant investment into the city’s recreation facilities including Eastern Oval, and the excellent preparation work done by council’s ground staff,” he said.

“The Renegades’ visit also had a number of positive community benefits, from Friday’s clinic with school children and Renegades players, to the opportunity for local clubs to fundraise at the event, and the reinforcement of the TAC’s road safety messages.”

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop