Bath Lane office building evacuated as smoke seeps from air-conditioner

OFFICE workers were evacuated from a Bath Lane building yesterday afternoon after the fire brigade was called to investigate smoke from an air-conditioner.

Police blocked traffic on Armstrong Street South near Central Square Shopping Centre, as workers waited outside the building, which houses CGU Insurance and RSM Bird Cameron accountants. 

Three fire trucks attended at 4.30pm. The cause was a burnt-out fan in the air-conditioner unit. 

Fire services were called to a gas main leak on Clunes Road in Creswick at 2.50pm and had it under control not long afterwards.

There were a number of smaller fires in Ballarat yesterday as the weather continued to get hotter, including a haystack fire in Windermere.

The Eureka Swimming Pool was forced to shut due to lightning late in the afternoon.

A fire truck at the scene in Bath Lane yesterday.

A fire truck at the scene in Bath Lane yesterday.