The CFA say the Malmsbury fire has been brought under control.
A Watch and Act has now been put into place for the Malmsbury township.
There is a fast moving, out of control grassfire on the South Eastern side of Malmsbury near the Calder Fwy travelling towards Malmsbury East Road.
Fire is threatening properties on Degraves Mill Road.
The Calder Fwy is closed.
The Malmsbury township is under threat along with the Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre.
The CFA say residents are in danger and they must act now to protect themselves.
- The safest option is to take shelter indoors immediately.
- Close all exterior doors, windows and vents and turn off cooling systems.
- Shelter in a room that has a door and or a window to the outside - It is critical to keep an eye on what is happening with the fire.
If you cannot get indoors, other last resort options include:
- A large open area like a ploughed paddock, football oval or sporting reserve.
- A large body of water like a dam, lake, river, the ocean or in-ground pool.
- Try to protect yourself from the fire's heat.
In the car:
- Park behind a solid structure to block the fire's heat or pull over to a cleared area.
- Put on your hazard lights and headlights.
- Turn the engine off, close all windows and ensure that car air vents are closed.
- Get down as low as possible below window level and cover up with a woolen blanket.
- If you are travelling, do not enter the area, U-turn to safety.
If you are away from home, do not return.
For life or property threatening emergencies call 000