A WENDOUREE woman will remain in custody over an alleged stabbing in the Bridge Mall after her bail application was adjourned yesterday.
Appearing in the Ballarat Magistrates Court via video link, Brooke Pring, 18, was reduced to tears when magistrate Catherine Lamble said she would not grant bail to the teenager, but adjourn the application until next Tuesday.
Pring’s defence counsel argued new circumstances had come to light that supported her client’s release on bail, drawing on the fact the 18-year-old had now been in custody for three weeks.
The court heard Pring had detoxed any drugs in her system during her time in remand, and that spending more time in custody could harm her eligibility to enter a youth justice centre.
But Ms Lamble said she was not convinced Pring’s time served would satisfy as a “new circumstance”.
“What’s put as new facts and circumstances is pretty thin,” she said.
“The offending was quite serious.”
Pring was also previously refused bail by magistrate Michelle Hodgson on March 25, when she was remanded on five charges, one each of intentionally causing injury, recklessly causing injury, possessing a controlled weapon without an excuse, assault with a weapon and commit an indictable offence while on bail.
Ms Lamble said it would be more appropriate for Ms Hodgson to consider the teenager’s bail application next week.