Darley trouble spreads to junior footy ranks

BALLARAT Football League has gone on the offensive to proactively launch an investigation into an under-16 seniors game.

The latest incident now involving junior footballers has parents deeply concerned about the welfare of their children playing football. 

The Courier understands two Mount Clear players were injured in incidents during a game with Darley at Mount Clear Recreation Reserve on Sunday.

BFL operations manager Aaron Nunn confirmed there would be an independent investigation into an incident during the game between Mount Clear and Darley.

It is separate to another independent investigation stemming from the weekend involving Darley in which an East Point under-18.5s player was hospitalised with a broken jaw after being struck by a Darley footballer in an off-the-ball incident.

Mount Clear Junior Football Club president Grant Bradshaw said parents of both injured Mounties players had serious health concerns for their children.

One child was taken to hospital in Ballarat.

Bradshaw said the Mounties had been looking to request an investigation when the BFL stepped up to call for an investigation on behalf of all clubs.

Part of the investigation will determine if the incident occurred behind play.

Bradshaw said the Mounties were co-operating fully with the BFL on the BFL's lead for an outcome.

"The club is very concerned about the incidents and the club is working with the BFL to resolve the incidents," Bradshaw said.

"We won't rest until there is a suitable resolution."

Darley junior football president Ross Bewley said he had spoken with Devils coaches involved in the game and was aware of the BFL investigation.

Bewley said that while the club's senior arm was dealing with the separate under-18s investigation, the club as a whole was not happy with a few rogue elements at the club and was actively working to change club culture.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop