AN irate Redan Street resident had his front yard and side of his house splattered with cement after construction work to install the National Broadband Network was carried out at his home.
Brian Coffey said he returned to his Errard Street South early on Friday afternoon to find two NBN Co contractors attempting to cut a channel down his driveway.
Mr Coffey said he spoke to the workers briefly about the work being carried out but when he went outside again an hour later the men had left and his yard was in disarray.
“I’m not talking about a few splashes of concrete,” Mr Coffey said. “There are substantial amounts of it all over my house, garden and fence. In some parts I’m not sure whether I will be able to repair it.”
Mr Coffey said the flow of cement from his home leaked all the way down to a Telstra pit which had been dug outside his home.
He said the workers had used his hose to attempt to wash away the mess, but it too was left covered in cement.
The pickets of his fence and weatherboards of his house are also covered in cement.
Nearby in Drummond Street, where NBN construction works were recently undertaken, there are pink dye marks outlining where damage to footpaths had been done and indicating where NBN co workers need to return to repair
Mr Coffey said residents were tired of poor workmanship and shoddy construction work.
Last month, The Courier reportED that Mr Coffey’s neighbourhood had been waiting since the start of last year for NBN Co to install the network.
NBN co workers have reportedly already broken two mains in the street.
Mr Coffey said he had to notify the first contractors employed to install the network while they were drilling that an old mine used to exist in the street and the houses in the neighbourhood had been built on rocks extracted from the mine.
He said the workers packed up and returned months later to dig a trench in an adjacent strip.
Mr Coffey said he was in the process of filing a formal complaint to NBN Co this week.
“After all this stress and shoddy work we aren’t even connected to the thing,” Mr Coffey said.
Mr Coffey said he was still waiting for an NBN box which was due to be connected to his house in May.
NBN Co has maintained some premises in Ballarat required additional work before residents were able to connect to the NBN.
NBN Co spokesman Trent Williams told The Courier recently that the organisation was working hard with contractors to resolve the connection and infrastructure issues as quickly as possible.