IT’S A YES! Australians have emphatically voted in favour of legalising same-sex marriage, saying "yes" to the historic social change by a substantial margin of 61.6 per cent to 38.4 per cent.
After years of political stagnation, the public has now tasked the Turnbull government with changing the law before Christmas to allow same-sex couples to marry.
There has been a lot of debate around Ballarat in the lead-up to the plebiscite.
These are just some of the stories The Courier has published in the lead-up to the event.
- Ballarat church cancels couple’s wedding after Facebook post supporting same-sex marriage
- Mayor uses deciding vote to take down Ballarat’s rainbow flag
- ‘I was bashed because I am gay’
- FedUni film calls for marriage equality
- Walking the debate divide
- Questions on true intentions for same-sex marriage
FOLLOW THE LIVE BLOG HERE