Warning to watch for toxic mushrooms

BALLARAT residents have been urged to look out for toxic mushrooms in the region.

Be aware of what is a toxic mushroom. CONTRIBUTED

Be aware of what is a toxic mushroom. CONTRIBUTED

Following a recent Canberra report about the poisonous toadstool known as the death cap, The Courier nature writer, Roger Thomas, said it was timely to warn of the dangers of consuming mushroom-like fungi.

Mr Thomas said although he was unaware of the death cap toadstool in the Ballarat region, the yellow-stainer mushroom was common. 

“(The yellow-stainer) can make some people seriously ill,” Mr Thomas said.

“Mushrooms found in the North Gardens, near Lake Wendouree, are a yellow-staining mushroom and look similar to the edible field mushroom.

“However, the difference is the yellow stain produced when scratching the surface of the cap.

“This stain occurs within a few seconds of scratching or bruising. A snapped stem also turns yellow almost immediately.”

Mr Thomas said some people who ate the yellow-stainer might suffer serious gastro-intestinal symptoms.

“Care should be taken to wash hands after handling suspect mushrooms,” he said.


Discuss "Warning to watch for toxic mushrooms"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.