A quick-thinking neighbour was instrumental in ensuring an elderly couple was safely evacuated from their smoke-logged home, firefighters say.
(min cost $8)
Login or signup to continue reading
Firefighters were called to reports of a kitchen fire and thick smoke at an Eyre Street house just before 8pm on Sunday.
Ballarat City Fire Station Senior Station Officer Neville Collins said thick, chest-height smoke was building throughout the house when firefighters arrived.
Mr Collins said the house was fitted with a smoke alarm but the elderly couple who lived in the property did not realise it was sounding.
He said the vigilant actions of a neighbour meant firefighters were called and the couple was evacuated.
“The house was very smoke logged down to chest height,” Mr Collins said.
“We need to be mindful (of our neighbours)”.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.