SEBASTOPOL has been forced to take a home Ballarat Football League game to Alfredton on Saturday with the saturated Marty Busch Reserve surface declared unfit for play.
The BFNL and City of Ballarat made the call on Thursday to switch the Sebastopol and Redan fixture after a series of inspections of the ground over four days.
Ballarat Football Netball League operations manager Scott Carey said the impact of rain and regular use had led to the venue being deemed unsafe and unplayable.
Carey said the move had been made in the best interests of player health and safety.
“We want to make it clear that this scenario is an isolated situation caused by constant poor weather and heavy traffic on the oval.
“We are confident that the City of Ballarat will do everything they can to ensure the ground is ready for Sebastopol’s next home game,” he said.
The Burra is scheduled to play East Point at the ground in the last home and away round on Saturday, August 20.
Carey said the Eastern Oval and Wendouree Reserve were also considered as alternative venues for this weekend’s encounter, but the BFNL and City of Ballarat were also mindful of the use these grounds faced in upcoming finals series.
The City of Ballarat has scheduled Marty Busch Reserve as the next BFNL senior ground to undergo an upgrade following major projects at Wendouree, Eureka Stadium and Alfredton over the past few years.
Work is set begin at the end of the football season.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.