Ballarat Cricket Association operations officer Greg Wakeling has no doubt it was the right decision to call off last weekend’s cricket despite the picturesque day that unfolded on Saturday.
Wakeling made it clear that the decision was made with the knowledge that the weather would be far better than what we had seen prior to the weekend but the decision was made off the back of the lack of time in order to prepare the grounds.
He admitted it was disappointing to have such a nice day and no cricket, but the BCA had no other choice given its access to grounds in the lead-up to round one.
“It was a little disappointing, however, it is what it is,” Wakeling said.
“The general feedback (we’ve had) was really positive and really appreciative that we made the call when we did.
“Obviously understanding the forecast was supposed to be good but we’ve gone around to a couple of grounds today and we still couldn’t play on them today if we had to.”
Wakeling held similar fears for this weekend’s play.
More would be known by Tuesday afternoon but he felt at this stage it was touch and go as to whether the 2016-17 season would get underway.
Wakeling was buoyed by the promising weather this week but there was a strong chance it could be called off once again.
Other alternatives being explored would be to play some matches on Sunday, which would be determined on how many grounds were available for play.
“We’re going to struggle again this week but hopefully we can get back on and get this season underway.
“There’s a fair bit of work that goes into getting the grounds up.
“If we lose any more grounds we’re going to either be playing one of the senior grades on Sunday or it might be two grades, or we might pull the pin on the whole weekend again.”
It was a little disappointing ... but we’ve gone around to a couple of grounds today and we still couldn’t play on them today if we had to.- BCA's Greg Wakeling
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.