'We haven't got a crime': Personal problems investigated as search for Elisa Curry continues


Potential marital or financial problems are being explored as police try to understand Elisa Curry's state of mind in the hours before the Melbourne mother of three disappeared from her family's holiday home nearly a week ago.

Inspector Peter Seel said the disappearance of 43-year-old Ms Curry, who has not been seen since last Saturday night, primarily remained a missing person case.

"We haven't got a crime," Inspector Seel said, although he added that everything was "still on the table".

Inspector Seel said any problems Ms Curry was facing in the time before she disappeared were being investigated, but declined to elaborate further.

With the likelihood of Ms Curry's survival now "very remote", Inspector Seel said the search patterns will change from Saturday.

"At this stage it's really about supplying answers to the family and giving them some closure," Inspector Seel said.

"As I said yesterday, the likelihood of finding a missing person alive, especially out in the bush, are very remote."

Inspector Seel described the search of Aireys Inlet, now in its sixth day, as a massive operation and moved to reassure the small seaside community on the Great Ocean Road that there was no indication of foul play.

"I want to reassure the community that the area is safe," he said.

More than 30 police officers and 15 bush search and rescue volunteers have spent Friday scouring dense coastal scrub and inspecting homes, garages and backyards.

On Saturday, police divers will be deployed to the beaches around Aireys Inlet.

"Search and rescue will continue looking into things like [sending] rope teams onto various beaches, and also snorkellers and divers into the ocean, or the beach area," Inspector Seel said.

An information caravan manned by officers will be set up outside the Aireys Inlet General Store in the hope holidaymakers will come forward with information.

"We'll be asking members of the public who may have left last weekend and are returning this weekend to please, if they have information, come and speak to police."

Police said it was possible, but very doubtful, that Ms Curry had packed her bags and left the house and was still alive.

Volunteers scouring the rugged coastline not far from the Curry's holiday home on Friday described the search as a painstakingly slow one.

Multicoloured ribbons line the dense scrub covering the cliffs to mark the areas that have already been searched.

One volunteer said search parties were looking for anything as small as a ring which might give vital clues to Ms Curry's whereabouts.

"We're just looking for anything that doesn't belong," he said.

When Elisa Curry was last seen

A female friend and neighbour said she and her husband visited Ms Curry at her Aireys Street holiday home on Saturday night.

The neighbour later returned alone to discuss a "personal" matter with Ms Curry and said she saw the mother of three getting into bed when she left about 10pm.

Police have very few clues to guide them in their investigation.

Ms Curry's missing mobile phone has been turned off since 10.30pm Saturday and her Facebook account was deleted some time after Friday night.

Inspector Seel said it was a possible that she had gone for a run on Sunday morning and become "disoriented" in bushland.

The keen marathon runner usually wore a Fitbit when she went for a run, but had left the device behind.

"We don't know what she was wearing, we don't know at the time what her state of mind was, so it's difficult to gather all of that together and know what happened," Inspector Seel said.

Ms Curry - a non-practising solicitor and stay-at-home mother - and her husband David have three children, aged seven to 12. Inspector Seel said they have been extremely distressed.

David Curry raised the alarm when he and his children returned from Melbourne on Sunday morning to find an empty house.

Mr Curry is head of regulatory and corporate affairs at the Australian Leisure and Hospitality Group, which owns hundreds of pubs and Dan Murphy's outlets.

The family lives in Surrey Hills in Melbourne's east and bought their holiday home in 2015.



Saturday 2.30pm: Elisa Curry watches the AFL grand final with a friend, who leaves some time after the match finishes.

Saturday after 5.30pm: Ms Curry texts her husband David, who was at the grand final with their three children, about the result of the game. Two neighbours - a husband and wife - visit Ms Curry on Saturday night. The couple leaves, but the wife returns later.

Saturday 10pm: The female neighbour returns to Ms Curry's home and discusses a 'personal' matter with her. The neighbour leaves after seeing Ms Curry get into bed.

Saturday 10.30pm: Ms Curry's phone is switched off. It is the last time her phone pings a nearby mobile tower.

Sunday 9am: David Curry and the couple's three children return to the holiday home to find Ms Curry missing.

Tuesday 2pm: Mr Curry pleads for information on his missing wife: "Elisa, if you're out there, can you please contact us," he says.

Anyone needing support can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.

This story 'We haven't got a crime': Personal problems investigated as search for Elisa Curry continues first appeared on The Age.