Former Bacchus Marsh footballer Jarrah Maksymow has been taken back into custody less than 48 hours after fleeing his Hume League semi-final.
The 26-year-old was arrested on Monday after running from police from the Walbundrie sportsground in New South Wales at half-time on Saturday.
He had been wanted for six charges including assault, break-and-enter, and driving offences following an incident at a Springdale Heights home earlier in the day.
It's alleged a woman was assaulted.
He was arrested at a home in Wodonga on Monday morning and was extradited back to Albury.
He didn’t speak during the court application to take him back to NSW, which was not opposed.
The midfielder – who had been spoken to by police before the game but allowed to play – has a committal mention listed for Albury Local Court on Tuesday.
An intervention order has also been listed for September 18.
Police had thought he was hiding in Victoria, and may have been in Bacchus Marsh where he has connections.
Officers had been in contact with him by phone in a bid to get him to hand himself in.
The decision not to arrest Maksymow at the football ground will be reviewed by police management.
Acting Superintendent Andrew Spliet couldn’t say if it was the right or wrong decision to let him play.
“Those actions by police will be a matter that we’ll be having a look at here at the senior management level to make sure the appropriate decisions were made,” he said.
It had been an operational decision made by the two officers at the time, he said.
“They have to take into account officer safety as well as the safety of the community,” he said.