A Country Fire Authority volunteer has leapt to the aid of residents whose kitchen caught fire after cooking was left unattended.
The house fire occurred at a property on Norman Street near Club Crescent in Invermay Park on Monday afternoon.
Ballarat City Fire Station senior station officer Terry Fradd said emergency services received the call just before 3pm with units from Ballarat City and a unit from Cardigan attending the scene.
He said when crews arrived at the property, there was smoke coming out of the front door and the roof.
“The lady was cooking and failed to monitor the cooking well enough, forgot about it, which has then caught on fire,” Mr Fradd said.
“Luckily one of our CFA volunteers was driving past, saw the smoke and out the back he has attacked the fire with a hose and he has done a great job, putting part of the fire out before we got here.”
It took about 15 minutes for crews to bring the fire under control.
Mr Fradd said after initially trying to put the fire out, the residents managed to exit the building safely.
While there were no injuries, there was significant damage to the kitchen.
Mr Fradd said the incident was a good reminder to always remain alert and pay attention when in the kitchen.
Police were on scene to help with traffic control on Norman Street. Ambulance was also called to the scene but not required.