Telstra mobile customers around Ballarat have been warned of service disruption over the next nine days as technicians upgrade the main mobile tower at the Ballarat Telephone Exchange.
The works will add more coverage and capacity to the network as the city's population continues to grow.
Mobile towers have three large panels that each offer 120 degrees of coverage, and these will be shut down one at a time as technicians work on them.
"Residents may notice an intermittent or temporary reduction of mobile coverage while this upgrade is occurring," a Telstra spokesman said.
Telstra notified customers of the upgrade by text messages sent on Wednesday and Thursday.
Earlier this month Telstra announced it would invest more than $160 million on 600 mobile network projects across Victoria this financial year, including $20 million to complete 74 mobile projects around Ballarat and south western Victoria.
“This investment will mean new mobile base station developments at Delacombe adding new mobile coverage, and upgrades at Sebastopol, Wendouree, Canadian, Alfredton and Redan that will mean increased capacity delivering faster and more reliable data speeds for customers using our network,” said Telstra chief Andy Penn.
“As people are increasingly using mobile-connected devices for business and personal use, it’s more important than ever we bring the best possible network experience we can to regional areas.”
Have you signed up to The Courier's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.