RESIDENTS were evacuated from Reid's Guesthouse in Lydiard Street overnight after smoke filled the second floor as a result of a cooking incident.
The burned food had been placed in a bin around 11pm, but had not been fully extinguished with resulting smoke going throughout the second floor of the guesthouse.
A Ballarat City Fire Station spokesperson said it was fortunate that the fire brigade was able to arrive quickly as there was potential that it could have turned into a more serious incident.
Fortunately there was no structural damage.
"It's a good warning to make sure you check your food," he said.
It was a busy night for firefighters who were earlier called out to reports of a grass fire alongside the Midland Highway near Buninyong.
And this morning crews were also called out to extinguish a campfire which had been left smouldering in nearStawell Street Nerrina, and also look at sparking powerlines in Sebastopol which started as a result of the overnight dewy conditions.
Have you signed up to The Courier's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.