A 63-year-old drug-addict accused of stealing from a dead man's home on multiple occasions has been granted bail.
Police have charged Stephen Frost with burglary for breaking into houses in Ballarat East in October.
On October 12 Frost allegedly broke into a home while the occupant was out and stole an iPad, iPad charger, a hair straightener and jewellery. Reading a police summary to the court, police prosecutor Senior Constable Steve Repac said on October 14 Frost allegedly broke into the home of a man who had died two days earlier and stole a television, cards from the dead man's wallet and other items.
Senior Constable Repac said police caught Frost allegedly breaking into the deceased man's home a second time on October 18 after a neighbour reported suspicious noise. He was located hiding in the bedroom cupboard wearing plastic disposable gloves with $1.70 in loose coins and a screwdriver in his pocket allegedly stolen from the home.
This is really serious offending that I sense is connected to your drug use, the way you manage your finances and your lifestyle - it needs to be put in order.Magistrate Letizia Torres
Senior Constable Repac told the court Frost was a risk to the public as he had 'complete disregard' to committing offences.
"Police believe he will seek out more drugs and will commit more burglaries to fund his habit," Senior Constable Repac said.
Defence lawyer David Tamanika acknowledged he must show compelling reasons and address the risk to the public in arguing for Frost's bail.
Mr Tamanika said Frost had been assessed as suitable for the Court Integrated Services Program that would provide access to services to reduce his risk of re-offending.
He also referred to Frost's stable residence, management of his heroin addiction in custody and the possibility of stringent conditions that could be put in place to reduce the risk to the public.
"He has had some pre-sentence time now that has changed his circumstances from the time of arrest until now," Mr Tamanika said.
Magistrate Letizia Torres said it was a 'difficult decision' to grant Frost bail, but she was satisfied compelling reasons had been met.
Ms Torres told the court she had taken into account Frost's age, the sentence he was likely to receive, that bail conditions could address risk and the fact he had already spent a month in jail.
"I need you to comply with all of the requirements of the Court Integrated Service Program," Ms Torres said.
"This is really serious offending that I sense is connected to your drug use, the way you manage your finances and your lifestyle - it needs to be put in order."
Frost was ordered not to leave his residence between 9pm and 7am, to comply with CISP and not use any illegal drugs while on bail.
He will face two charges of burglary at the Ballarat Magistrates Court on December 9.
Have you signed up to The Courier's variety of news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.