Like the general community, there's differing opinions in the coaching fraternity when it comes to the topic of playing a football season without crowd access.
Waubra's premiership coach Matt James says it's "definitely" worth running local competitions even if spectators aren't able to attend matches due to COVID-19 restrictions.
"There's plenty of ways for supporters to stay connected with video and so on," he said.
James said he was confident players would play for free to help ease the burden on clubs that might not be able to attract a crowd and make money via bar sales and the canteen.
"I believe match payments are a club by club issue as all would have different opinions, but from my point of view I am confident players would play for free," he said.
"It will be galvanising for the group to know all are there for the love and right reason."
Sunbury coach Travis Hodgson said he could see little sense in playing without spectators.
"(Country) football is all about the people, the community," Hodgson said.
"We play for the people and their enjoyment."
Hodgson said he believed most of the players would be of the same mind.
He said while they played for their own enjoyment, they also played for the enjoyment of and engagement with family members, friends and supporters.
Hodgson said from a financial perspective, matches would also not be viable without fan access.
As it stands, competitions are on hold until at least May 31 due to the pandemic but could be given the green light to start after that date.
The Ballarat Football Netball League will not run a season in 2020 if significant crowd restrictions are in place, according to competition manager Shane Anwyl. But Central Highlands league president Doug Hobson failed to shut the door on his competition getting underway without spectator access when asked earlier this week.
Reigning CHFL best and fairest winner Rupert Sangster isn't exactly banging the door down for a return to the field.
The Beaufort player has concerns about the vulnerable people around his club.
"(If) they can definitely say that players are at no risk to the virus when playing football then I would be open for it," he said in regards to the return of football during the pandemic.
"Although, as someone who works in a hospital in Melbourne it wouldn't sit right with me to travel back and put the country community at risk."