The City of Ballarat executive who came under fire in a scathing Victorian Ombudsman report last week has resigned.
Terry Demeo, the director of infrastructure and environment, handed in his resignation to acting chief executive officer Neville Ivey on Monday.
Mr Demeo, along with chief executive officer Justine Linley, was named in the report which was tabled in parliament last Thursday morning.
The report claims Mr Demeo:
- improperly recruited friends and former colleagues from Greater Geelong Council to senior positions at Ballarat Council
- was improperly involved in splitting purchase orders to avoid a tender process for a Council construction project
- misused a Council Purchasing Card
In a media statement released by Mr Demeo on Monday, he said he was "very disappointed with the specifics of the Victorian Ombudsman report and its conclusions".
The statement also said Mr Demeo "always tried to do the right thing for the City Of Ballarat and the community", but felt resigning was the best option at this time.
Mr Demeo also "thanked the councillors, the organisation and the broader community for the opportunity to serve the Ballarat community for the last six years".
Mr Demeo's resignation comes hours before a special council meeting will be held this evening.
At tonight's meeting, the future of Ms Linley's position as head of the council is expected to be discussed.
Neville Ivey is currently acting chief executive officer, and would be in a position to apply should he wish.
Tonight's special council meeting will be conducted behind closed doors with discussion to be held as part of confidential business.
It is scheduled to begin at 6pm.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thankyou very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.