Springbank and Redan are among the region's clubs that won't immediately go back to club-sanctioned training despite being given the tick of approval to start on Monday by AFL Victoria.
Tigers coach Joe Otto told The Courier that without any parameters in place for the start of a season and the strict protocols that have been set to deal with COVID-19, his senior group would hold off on a return to the track.
"It's just really hard. We've got guys travelling from everywhere and how we'd organise it to make it work would be a nightmare," Otto said.
"All I can ask for our boys is to continue on and stay fit. They can get together a couple of them, but as a rule I'm not starting training back until we've got a bit more concrete stuff of what direction it's going to take, I suppose."
Otto said there was a feeling of guilt about not scheduling training, but he was happy to sit back and wait for a clearer passage forward.
"The biggest thing is that you feel like you should be doing something because others are doing something, but at the end of the day it honestly is just a bit of a waste of time," he said.
"We are not going to get much out of doing it."
AFL Victoria has released its training guidelines, which urge strict compliance to social distancing regulations.
Clubs can only have a maximum of 10 participants per group, not including a coach or the minimum number of support staff who are reasonably required to manage the activity. No more than two groups of 10 players are allowed per oval.
Tackling, bumping, marking contests, handshakes and high fives are also banned.
Redan senior coach Jarret Giampaolo indicated the Lions were in no hurry and were prepared to wait before relaunching their pre-season.
He said it was hard to start training without an actual start for the season.
"(We) don't want to start training only to be told in a few weeks that there is no season."
He said the Lions' board was meeting on Thursday night to further discuss protocols.
BFL clubs have varied views.
Darley coach Dan Roy said the Devils were not likely to start training as early as Monday.
"(We're) still wanting more information about COVID-19 protocol officers at training and what that entails."
He said the club was also seeking greater clarity as to whether a player would be covered by insurance if they contracted the virus.
Sunbury coach Travis Hodgson said the Lions were planning to train next week, but were meeting again on Thursday night to discuss more details.
He said they intended to have each group training twice a week.
Ballarat coach Joe Carmody said the Swans were aiming to start training next Thursday, with a view to having each group train twice a week.
Bacchus Marsh coach Tom German said everything was in place for the Cobras to get under way straight away, two training sessions a week for each group.
He said as far as he was concerned the sooner the better.
German said a resumption of training was as important for players' mental state as their physical wellbeing.
Melton South coach Heath Pritchard said everything was in place to get training going again next week.
He said his player group was keen to restart.
Pritchard said he had had 40 players in touch with him wanting to book their place in groups within minutes of the AFL Victoria announcing a resumption of training
He said while players had been able to do some training, getting back involved in a structured program where they wanted to be.
Pritchard said there was also a desire for a social reconnection after so long in isolation.
East Point football manager Dean Hetherington said the Kangaroos were looking to restart training next week - pending final approval from the City of Ballarat.
Lake Wendouree coach Dale Power said Lakers would train from next week, but was still working through what format it would take.
Melton had a meeting on Wednesday night to discuss plans for a return to pre-season training.