Greater Western Victoria Rebels will return to training at the start of next month.
The boys' under-18 and under-16 squads will be first back on the track.
This will give the Ballarat-based Rebels three weeks to prepare for an abbreviated NAB League under-18 season.
The modified competition will initially feature only five country sides, with the Melbourne metropolitan teams unable to play owing to the state government-imposed COVID-19 lockdown.
The Rebels will feature in the opening game - taking on Geelong Falcons at Mars Stadium in Ballarat on Saturday, August 22.
Bendigo Pioneers will be at home Murray Bushrangers at Bendigo's QEO on Sunday, August 23, to complete round one, while Gippsland Power will play an intra-club game.
The AFL says it will release the remaining season fixtures "when it is in a position to do so".
The Rebels will not be impacted by the ruling that country players who attend schooling in restricted metropolitan areas will be ineligible to play for their regional team, with all its players based in their home region.
However, a handful of players who have already turned 19 years of age have been ruled out under return to play protocols which do now allow anyone over 18 years to take part in contact sport.
The boys' under-16 squad will prepare for two games in school holidays in late September.
The NAB League girls' season, including GWV Rebels, is scheduled to restart on Saturday, September 5, with three more matches for each team to complete a six-game season.
The girls' competition had three rounds before being suspended owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, with the Rebels unbeaten in two outings.
AFL head of talent and state league competitions Tristan Salter said the AFL remained committed to having some form of competitive games for all girls and boys in a safe environment.
"The evolving situation across Victoria has meant we have had to make decisions based on geographical locations of players and clubs to ensure we give as many players the opportunity to play NAB League games this year.
"While we would prefer to provide a standard season of NAB League football for girls and boys across the entire state, this outcome ensures an opportunity for many players to continue their journey in the talent pathway," he said.
The AFL will continue to support all NAB League players for the remainder of the year and are committed to ensuring opportunities will exist in 2021 for players who have been impacted by the disruptions this year.
"We maintain our commitment to all players that we will continue explore arrangements including return-to-training and competition in consultation with the State Government for players located in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell shire."
Salters said the AFL acknowledged it had been a challenging year for all players, parents, coaches, volunteers and officials and remained united as a league to get through it together.
"We remain committed to providing the right platform for the players and clubs and give NAB League girls and boys the opportunity to showcase their talent," Salter said.