Police have told a court they fear a man convicted of murdering his partner almost 24 years ago would cause serious harm to his current partner if released on bail.
Paul Haseloff, 48, applied for bail at the Ballarat Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.
He is in custody on allegations of a serious violent episode against his partner and her adult daughter and son at their home in December.
Police informant Detective Senior Constable Cudia said police would argue that Haseloff woke in a drug induced state at 1.30am on December 10 and allegedly began assaulting his partner in bed.
The court was told that it would be alleged that Haseloff held a pillow over her face and punched her to the head, before allegedly stealing her phone and continuing to strike her multiple times.
The court heard the woman's daughter went to her mother's aid and Haseloff allegedly punched her in the mouth, breaking her tooth and causing cuts.
The woman's son armed himself with a fire stick and told police he was scared of Haseloff because he had allegedly threatened him with a hammer and screwdriver on December 4.
Haseloff allegedly dragged his partner back into the bedroom, got on top of her on the bed and allegedly bit her eyebrow, causing the skin to pierce.
The court heard she allegedly tried to escape and push him back with a plant stand, but Haseloff allegedly continued to try to assault the mother and her children.
Police said they would allege that she was dragged around the bedroom by her hair, and told the court she reported feeling pain and soreness to her whole body and had an injury where she was allegedly bitten.
Police told the court they arrived and arrested Haseloff and found a bag containing a substance believed to be methamphetamine in his possession.
Haseloff was taken to hospital for injuries and allegedly attempted to flee on foot when he was walking out with police.
Detective Senior Constable Cudia told the court the alleged violent episode happened after Haseloff had allegedly fled from a collision the previous day.
His behaviour seems to be getting more violent and controlling.Detective Senior Constable Cudia
Police told the court he was driving on Eyre Street on December 9 about 5.20pm, allegedly in an erratic manner when he collided with another car that was stationary waiting to turn.
Detective Senior Constable Cudia said told the court Haseloff had been driving 'all over the road' and had 'total disregard to other road users and members of the public' and alleged that he ran away after the collision.
She said she had grave concerns for the complainant's safety if Haseloff was to be released on bail.
"The accused has a strong hatred towards police. Police have concerns there will be retribution toward her for reporting to police.
"His behaviour seems to be getting more violent and controlling. Police believe he would cause further serious harm to the complainant if released on bail."
Detective Senior Constable Cudia told the court Haseloff was convicted of murdering his partner in the Melbourne Supreme Court in 1997 and convicted for threatening his partner with a sawn off shotgun in 2015.
Haseloff's defence lawyer said his client denied the allegations and said he was not under the influence of drugs but had a head injury from the collision.
He said Haseloff could live with his mother if released on bail.
The lawyer said told the court there would be a delay in the matter and his client was at risk of becoming institutionalised as he had served 23 years in prison in total.
Magistrate Ron Saines noted no witness was called to give evidence in support of the bail application.
"There are multiple offences before the court... it is highly likely at least some of the charges will be found proven... and a substantial period of imprisonment will be imposed," he said.
"I am not satisfied the statement of support from his mother, the risk of institutionalisation and assertions of no offending since 2016 amount to exceptional circumstances.
"It appears to me the risk of interference with witnesses and of further offending while on bail are unacceptable and the application for bail must be refused."
The case was adjourned for a contest mention in April. Haseloff remains in custody.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.