A 33-year-old Wendouree man has been accused of committing a cyber attack on a financial company to transfer more than $24,000 to his own bank accounts.
Dylan Johnstone appeared at the Ballarat Magistrates' Court on Tuesday to make an adjournment application.
The court heard Johnstone allegedly gained access to eight client accounts of financial company MoneyMe which provides personal loans.
Police prosecutor Leading Senior Constable Steve Kent said Johnstone diverted funds from the loan applicants' accounts to bank accounts he had created.
He allegedly transferred around $5000 on five different dates in January and February to his own accounts, totalling $24,700.
IN OTHER NEWS
A manager at MoneyMe reported the cyber attack to police in February 2020.
The court heard a bank warrant linked Johnstone to the alleged offending.
Police seized his laptop and phone and he was arrested, interviewed and bailed in September 2020.
Leading Senior Constable Kent said Johnstone's betting history at Crown Casino showed an increase in the amounts of money used to gamble.
Johnstone asked the court for his case to be adjourned so he could seek legal advice.
Magistrate Ron Saines said he had already granted an adjournment for this purpose before so it was important he did meet with a lawyer and was ready to enter a plea at the next court date.
He said it had been almost 12 months since Johnstone was bailed and there had been no progress on the case since.
"You will plead guilty or not guilty the next time before me," Mr Saines said.
Johnstone will return to court later in July.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Courier, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Ballarat's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great city.